Adoption in Thailand is the act of legally placing an adopted child with adoptive parents other than the biological parents of the child.
An adoption order has the effect of severing parental responsibilities and rights of the natural parents and transferring those responsibilities and rights to the adoptive parents.
2 Types Of Available Adoption In Thailand:
Thailand Domestic Adoption
This type of adoption is only available for adoptive parent(s) who has domicile inside Thailand.
Thailand Inter-Country Adoption
This type of adoption is exclusively for foreigners who wish to adopt a Thai child and intent to bring and raise the child outside Thailand.
See a more detailed information about Inter-country Adoption in Thailand.
Preliminary Qualifications Of An Applicant For Adoption In Thailand:
- An applicant must be over 25 years of age and must be at least 15 years older than an adopted child.
- A foreign applicant must have a legitimate spouse, assuming the applicants are applying as a couple, and this doesn’t apply to a Thai adopter.
- A foreign applicant must be legally qualified to adopt a child under the law in the country of his or her domicile, and that country has established diplomatic relations with Thailand.
Foreigners Who Can Apply For Adoption In Thailand:
- A Foreigner who has domicile outside Thailand can submit the Thai adoption application through the Competent Authority in their country and the non-governmental child welfare agencies licensed to deal with the Child Adoption Center of the Department of Social Development and Welfare (DSDW) of the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security of Thailand.
- A Foreigner who has domicile inside Thailand with the proof of residency and house registration can submit the Thai adoption application where the domicile is. The applicant who has domicile in Bangkok can submit the application to the Child Adoption Center of DSDW. The applicant resides outside Bangkok can submit the application at the DSDW of each province.
- A Foreigner who has temporary domicile inside Thailand with the proof of work permit issued by the Labor Department of the Ministry of Labor of Thailand has been residing in Thailand at least 6 months prior to filing the application and is able to complete the six month period of pre- adoption placement in Thailand can submit the Thai adoption application along with the required documents certified by their embassy or consular in Thailand to the Child Adoption Center of DSDW.
Local Office Bangkok: 087-595-4918
International Number: +662-168-7734-5