Thai Marriage Registration

Let TSL assist you with your marriage registration and wedding plans to ensure that everything goes smoothly and be sure that “the happiest day of your lives is truly the happiest day of your lives”.

  • Marry Thailand Services – Marriage in Thailand between a Thai National and an Expat, (or for a non-Thai couple) is easy to arrange and can be accomplished quickly. The legal Thailand marriage registration can be done by TSL at any district office in any province on any working day between 8AM and 3PM.
  • Marry Thailand Services – Marriage Registration in Thailand requires original passports and proof that you are single. If an individual was previously married but marriage was ended in divorce or death of the former spouse, original certificates of proof are required. If never married a statutory statement of non-attachment notarized by the Expat’s home embassy in Bangkok must be shown to the Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • The statutory statement for the Thai officials costs 1,000 Thai Baht each (approximately US$30). Foreign embassies in Bangkok normally charge a fee for notarization and the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) charges a minor fee for registering and issuing a certificate to enable you to legally marry at any location in Thailand. Official translation of the Thai Marriage certificate to Thai after the ceremony will also cost an additional fee.


Couples who are wishing to marry should have the following eligibility to get married in Thailand:

  • Neither of them should be less than 17 years of age or should be in marriageable age in accordance to the law enforced from your home country. The Court may, if there is an appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age.
  • Neither of them should be an insane person or adjudged incompetent.
  • They should not be blood relatives in a direct ascendant or descendant line, or brother or sister of full or half brother i.e. should not be within the prohibited degrees of relationship.
  • They should not have the same adoptive parents.
  • Neither should have a spouse at the time of marriage.

If a woman was married but (a) the husband is deceased or (b) she has divorced, the marriage can only take place 310 days after the death or termination of marriage, but before such period if:
A child has been born during that period;

  • The divorced couple plans to remarry;
  • There is a certificate showing that the woman is not pregnant;
  • There is a Court Order allowing the woman to marry.


  • A copy of passport and arrival card.
  • Affidavit regarding the marital status of the person from the home-country embassy.
  • Translated Thai versions of affidavits approved by a Foreign Ministry Translator.

Application Procedures for TSL “Marry Thailand” Services:

  • A Thai marriage can take place on declaration made by both the parties intending to marry by giving consent to take each other as husband and wife publicly before the registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar.
  • Application for registration for marriage can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.
  • If the Thai marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in the female’s birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer.
  • If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office or Minor District Office, the couple may submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office.
  • Marriage shall be effected only after registration is made. After registration is completed, a Marriage Registration Certificate will be issued.


  • Pre marriage arrangement including protection of any individual assets should be carefully planned. The Prenuptial Agreement is a commonly accepted practice in Thailand, and can be prepared as part of Marry Thailand Services if required. The Pre-nup should be prepared in both the Thai and English languages so that it is legally binding in both Thailand and the Expat’s home country. The Prenuptial Agreement is less likely to be contested if it is prepared and signed well in advance of the marriage date.
  • Choosing a Thai law firm specializing in international law to assist you with your Marriage Registration in Thailand will ensure that the marriage is properly registered to avoid having legal difficulties in the future. If you would like assistance with Marriage registration or preparation of a formal prenuptial agreement please consult us at TSL “Marry Thailand” Services above.

TSL Thailand Contact Information:

For more information about applying for a Visa or requesting our Legal Services, please visit the TSL Thailand Contact page.

International: +662-251-8130

In Thailand: 02-251-8130


How can we help you?

Visit us at our TSL Office in Bangkok or contact us by phone or on-line message at: